Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hoisington Grave Stone


Talk about Living the Dash - - -
I scribbled this testament of life and faith as I read these words from the stone of Ernestine Haag (June 10, 1938 – Jan 15, 1984). The marker bearing this engraving can be found in St. John’s Cemetery in Hoisington, KS. Ernestine wrote this message in 1973 several years before her death. Still, on Memorial Day 2010, she is spoken of by the many who remember her as a truly beautiful person, devoted to her Lord and her church.

From the day I started to play the piano
my aspirations were ambitious and my ambitions were lofty.
I wanted to become a concert pianist and perform at the Met
and one day go to London and play for the Queen.
All was to change, however, the first moment I sat at the organ
for it held a fascination all its own.
Well, I didn’t become a concert pianist.
I became a church organist.
I never went to New York and performed at the Met.
I stayed in Hoisington and played in St. John’s Church.
And I never went to London to play for the Queen.
Regrets?
My God, no!
For everyday I have the chance to play for the King!
Ernestine Haag - 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment